Three Ideas for Encouraging Church Leaders
LESSON PASSAGES OUTLINE
1. Refuse to Be Critical (1 Cor. 4:1-5)
2. Recognize Their Service (1 Cor. 4:9-13)
3. Accept Their Guidanc (1 Cor. 4:14-20)
BIBLICAL TRUTH - Christians can help their churches’ leaders be more effective by encouraging rather than criticizing them.
Introduction - Commentary by Terry Ellis, Senior Pastor of Spring Hill Baptist Church in Mobile, AL.
A leader in a church that I served as pastor came to me privately one day and said something I’ll never forget. He said, “I’ll stand behind you, beside you, or in front of you—whatever you need.” During all my years at that church, the man backed up his promise by supporting my leadership initiatives, by being a friend, and even by deflecting criticism for me. He was a constant encouragement to me, and I can honestly say that God has provided coworkers like that in every church I have served.
Every member can influence a church leader’s potential for success, whether the leader is a vocational minister or a volunteer leader. Negative criticism is caustic, self-serving, and will discourage a leader. Negative criticism can be either openly vocal or more passive, such as when a member recalls “better days” under a previous leader. On the positive side, however, even a single member can make a huge difference by giving vocal support and showing a positive attitude. No church member should think his or her support does not matter
What motivates you as a member to encourage a leader in your church?
Friday, June 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment