Wednesday, December 2, 2009

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON - DECEMBER 6TH

How Can Jesus Help Me?

Background Passage: Mark 1:1-45
Lesson Passage: Mark 1:14-31

BIBLICAL TRUTH
Jesus can help us by working His will in our lives.

Commentary by Darryl Wood, Pastor of Vincent First Baptist Church in Vincent Alabama. Amanda lost her job when her company downsized. She possessed exceptional clerical and interpersonal skills. "I've interviewed at the unemployment agency, looked in the newspaper classifieds, and knocked on doors. Two months of searching and no job. I can't find anything out there." I sensed the despair in Amanda's voice.
"You've sought help in lots of ways," I said. "But have you exhausted all options?" Amanda wondered what I meant, so I continued. "Did you think about what the Lord can do to help you? Maybe He's got something for you that you've not considered." She reflected on my challenge to allow the Lord to work in her situation and then thanked me for helping her look at her dilemma in a new light.
Sometimes believers get so busy helping themselves they forget to ask for help from God. Amanda needed to find out if the Lord might open some door she had not contemplated.
When faced with challenges, some people rush to resolution without consideration of God's desire to be involved with their lives. Some discount God's interest in them. Others fear that the Lord's will might conflict with their own.

Do you tend to run ahead of God when faced with an overwhelming task? What can you do to give God your full attention at such times?

No comments: