Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sunday School Lesson - June 28

Focal Passage:

1 John 5:12-21


What This Lesson Is About:

This lesson is about the Christian’s confidence—of salvation, of God’s willingness to answer prayer, and of victory over sin.


How This Lesson Can Impact Your Life:


You will have greater confidence of your salvation, pray with confidence that God answers prayer, and live daily in the power of Christ.


Spiritual Preparation Through Personal Bible Study - by Scott A. Blue, Visiting Lecturer in Religion at the University of North Carolina-Pembroke.

I recently had a conversation with a young man in the church I pastor. As I write, he is participating in summer football practice. Our high school has a new varsity football coach beginning this season, a man whose resume shouts “winner.” I was curious about this teenager’s opinion of the new coach after hearing of his reputation as a strict, no-nonsense disciplinarian. Surprisingly, the young man’s answer had nothing to do with the coach’s reputation. He simply said, “That guy’s crazy. He’s going around screaming about winning the state championship this year. There’s no way that’s going to happen!” Admittedly, I was taken aback by the sophomore’s response not only because it was unexpected, but mainly due to his pessimism regarding the coach, his teammates, and himself.

 Lack of confidence is a problem others besides teenagers face. In fact, “solutions” abound for such people. “Fake it” is one offered, as if acting confidently might just magically make people more optimistic and sure of themselves! Christians are not immune from the problem either. Some may feign confidence, but in reality many are filled with doubts. Deep down, they question if they will really go to heaven when they die, if God truly hears their prayers, or if they can ever break free from the stronghold of sin.



Place a check mark beside the statement in which you are most interested in having greater confidence:

___ I will go to heaven when I die.

___ God truly hears my prayers. 

___ I can break free from the stronghold of sin.


 The apostle John was a lot like a motivational coach to his readers. With his final words, he wanted to instill in them confidence in very important areas in their lives as Christ-followers. They needed certainty beyond doubt that God intends for believers to have assurance of eternal life, boldness in approaching Him in prayer, and confidence of their victory over sin.

No comments: