Thursday, February 19, 2009

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON - FEB 22ND

Focal Passage:

John 17:9-19


What This Lesson Is About:

Based on Jesus’ prayer for His disciples, this lesson reveals ways believers should pray for one another.

Spiritual Preparation Through Bible Study - by Eli Landrum, retired from Lifeway Christian Resources, and attends Crievewood Baptist Church, Nashville, TN.

I teach Bible study sessions in an adult men’s Sunday School class. We learn Bible truths together and apply them to our lives. We enjoy strong bonds of friendship and a collective sense of humor we call “equal-opportunity humbling.” Everyone receives his share of razzing. I benefit greatly from the men’s insights, comments, and questions about the weekly Bible lessons.

One of my prized privileges is to pray specifically as I become aware of the men’s celebrations, needs, and challenges. Before I began writing this lesson, I looked over the lesson outline and was struck with how much I need this lesson—how timely and appropriate it is for me at this stage of my Christian journey. I sometimes pray, “Lord, teach me to pray.” This lesson is part of the answer to my petition. It already has helped me pray more effectively for my class members, and I am confident it will help me pray in a more informed manner for other church members and believers beyond my congregation.

How often do you say to another believer, “I’ll be praying for you”? When we do remember to pray for others, however, we often limit our requests to God’s helping sick people’s recoveries or a nonspecific prayer for Him to bless someone. How can we know the right petitions to make on others’ behalf? This lesson shows us ways to pray for one another.

No comments: