Focal Passages:
John 14:12-14; 15:14-16; 16:23-26
How This Lesson Can Impact Your Life:
This lesson will help you understand what praying in Jesus’ name means and commit to pray in Jesus’ name.
Spiritual Preparation Through Bible Study - by Eli Landrum, retired from Lifeway Christian Resources, attends Crievewood Baptist Church, Nashville, TN.
A number of years ago, I taught a January Bible Study in a church at Oxford, Mississippi. The people who participated were receptive and responsive. Other factors also made the week memorable. The pastor and I had roomed together for several years in seminary, and my wife and I relished the chance to visit with him and his family. During the week, we became acquainted with a professional baseball player and his family, who were members of my friend’s church.
Several years later, my wife and I attended a baseball game in Atlanta between the Chicago Cubs and the Atlanta Braves. The player we had met at Oxford was a star for the Cubs. I had phoned my pastor friend to tell him we were going to the game and that I looked forward to talking with his friend. He told me that if the player did not respond when I called his name, I was to address him as his pastor’s friend. Sure enough, the player did not react to my shouts; but when I yelled his pastor’s name, he trotted over to the railing where I stood and talked with me. Using the name of his close friend gained me a brief audience with a sports star!
A mutual friend’s first and last names were magical words that made possible moments I still treasure. Some adults think of the words “in Jesus’ name” as a type of magical formula that adds potency to their prayers. Many are simply unsure what praying in Jesus’ name means. This lesson will examine what such praying means. It does not cover all of what praying in Jesus’ name means, but it does cover some important points.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment