Brandon and Claire are missionaries in a foreign country where serving the Lord can be difficult. God called them to a region filled with a variety of challenges. Some of the people living there oppose their work, most of the terrain makes traveling difficult, and the stresses and strains that come with raising their children in such a remote area get to them at times.
Why do Brandon and Claire serve the Lord in such a difficult place? The answer is in the distinction and connection between the words mission and missions. God desires to bring the gospel of His Son to all people everywhere. In other words, God’s mission is to bring the message of Jesus Christ to all people. In order to carry out this mission, God stirs the hearts of believers to go everywhere in His name with the hope of salvation. Missions, therefore, is what Christians do as we go into the world to fulfill God’s mission. That’s why Brandon and Claire serve as missionaries.
That’s also why the following passages in Isaiah deserve our attention. As you work through these passages, ask God to show His vision for you and our church so together we will fulfill His mission through missions.
Light for All Nations (Isa. 49:1-6)
1 Coastlands, listen to me;
distant peoples, pay attention.
The Lord called me before I was born.
He named me while I was in my mother’s womb.
2 He made my words like a sharp sword;
He hid me in the shadow of His hand.
He made me like a sharpened arrow;
He hid me in His quiver.
3 He said to me, “You are My servant, Israel;
I will be glorified in him.”
4 But I myself said: I have labored in vain,
I have spent my strength for nothing and futility;
yet my vindication is with the Lord, and my reward is with
my God.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment