Wednesday, November 3, 2010

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON ~ NOVEMBER 7TH

Being Careful

LESSON PASSAGE OUTLINE
1. Be Wise with Your Time (Eph. 5:15-16)
2. Be Aware of God’s Will (Eph. 5:17)
3. Be Filled with the Spirit (Eph. 5:18-20)
4. Be Subject to One Another (Eph. 5:21)

BIBLICAL TRUTH - Christians are to live by principles that demonstrate they are careful about their behavior.

Bible Commentary - by Kendell Easley, Professor of Christian Studies at the Germantown TN campus of Union University.

Three church friends were sharing Saturday coffee at the neighborhood cafe'. The subject of "what’s new in the workplace" came up. Chris, a high-school principal, was the first to respond. "We have a whole new raft of government guidelines. I’m so afraid I’m going to do the wrong thing. I almost need a lawyer to help me understand the rules." Dale, driver of a delivery truck, chimed in. "I just had to complete another safety course. If I make it to retirement without any incidents against my record, it’ll be a miracle! The fear factor is pretty high." Finally Frankie pitched in. "My joy on the job has been flagging lately too. It seems like it’s more about what not to do rather than doing the right things. What a drag!"
Chris turned the topic in a new direction by asking, "Do you think any of this has a bearing on how we live our Christian lives? I mean, my everyday thinking is mainly in terms of pitfalls to avoid. It’s hard to remember that I’m really supposed to be helping students learn." Dale and Frankie nodded and agreed.

Do you often think of life mainly in terms of what not to do? Or do you usually have a positive approach to living?

All too often Christian living is portrayed as what not to do. Many adults have been turned off by sermons that seem motivated by anger or a negative tone. A negative perspective has its place (see the Ten Commandments!), but a positive approach to Christian living has its place as well. Such an approach will be attractive to most believers, and it will certainly encourage those who usually hear only the negative approach. This week’s study is based on a passage that teaches believers to be careful—that is, intentional, deliberate—in how we live. The emphasis is on a positive approach to the Christian life.

The Life Goal of this lesson is to help adults demonstrate great care in how they live. ...think about the way you live your ...life. Do you consider yourself casual (careless, negative) in your Christian life? Or are you careful (watchful, positive)?

No comments: