Friday, October 8, 2010

SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSON ~ OCT. 10TH

God’s Power Strengthens

LESSON PASSAGE OUTLINE
1. What We Need (Eph. 3:14-16)
2. What We Receive (Eph. 3:17-19)
3. Whom We Ask (Eph. 3:20-21)

BIBLICAL TRUTH - Christians who ask God will receive greater spiritual strength and as a result will enjoy a stronger relationship with Him.

Bible Commentary - by Kendell Easley, Professor of Christian Studies at the Germantown, TN campus of Union University.

"I think I’m in a spiritual rut. It’s pretty much the same week after week. Church, work, family, church, work, family. I don’t know if I’m just spiritually lethargic or anemic or what," Jorge remarked.

Silvia chimed in next. "You know, I feel the same way. It’s like I have very little spiritual power. Does anyone else in the class think the way Jorge and I do?"
These comments recently kicked off a discussion in a Sunday school class attended by my friend Renee. She later told me that the leader seemed at a loss. He said, "I know Christians are supposed to be getting stronger spiritually, but you could also describe my spiritual life as ‘same old, same old.’ Sorry, folks, but I don’t have answers today."

 To what extent do you feel you may be in a spiritual rut? If you were the leader of the class that Sunday, would you have had a different response than indicated? How would you have replied to Jorge and Silvia?

For the most part Christians would agree with the statement God can use His power to give me greater spiritual strength. Yet we may have little understanding of how to get from Point A ("I don’t have spiritual strength") to Point B ("I am enjoying God’s strength day by day"). Even believers with a rich experience of God’s strength may be uncomfortable when reading in Ephesians about having "all the fullness of God." This may seem to be a strange idea, something to slough off as unattainable or to ask questions about. What does this phrase mean? Is it some kind of mystical experience? Should I seek it? How can I have it? In any case, believers need to find answers to questions about how to enjoy greater spiritual strength.

This lesson focuses on Paul’s second prayer for the Ephesians. As you study, notice his emphasis on being strengthened spiritually. You will see that Paul’s prayer also related to comprehending God’s love and experiencing His fullness. The apostle also expressed confidence in God’s power to supply spiritual strength far beyond what believers actually pray for. As you study, focus on the ways you as an individual are moving toward the Life Goal of this lesson: praying continually for greater spiritual strength.

No comments: